Sarah’s Pendrell Blouse: Trial #1

Last night, I finally sewed my first trial of the recently released Pendrell blouse designed by Tasia of the blog Sewaholic. The Pendrell is a semi-fitted pullover blouse (no buttons, zippers, clasps etc at all!) with princess seams and bias binding at the neck and armholes. View A (the view I made) has pleated sleeves set into the princess seams. I’d been in love with these sleeves since I first saw the pattern!

Pattern Sizing: I sewed a size 14, which turned out pretty much perfect for me.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes! (Though one of the pattern pieces is incorrectly marked “Cut 2” when you actually only need to “Cut 1”.)

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love these sleeves! I’ve already started wondering whether I could incorporate this into other princess seamed dresses in the future… The bias binding also makes for a very neat-looking final product. I think next time I sew it, I might even add french seams to neaten it even further.

Fabric Used: This was just my first trial of this pattern, so I used the leftovers from a vintage sheet picked up at an op shop. (The rest of the sheet had gone into a long string of bunting which will not surprise an BSC Perth members!) The fabric resulted in a quite wearable version though, when sewing, I noticed some dis-colouration in some parts of the fabric…

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None. This was my first trial (wearable-muslin-style) of this pattern, so I didn’t make any changes.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I see at least 2 more Pendrell’s (View A) in my future! It’s a lovely little top which only took about 2.5 hours to make the first time. I would definitely recommend this pattern.

I only had one drama when sewing this pattern… and this drama was all my own fault. See the photo [left]? This was what the blouse looked like when I *first* finished it… can you see what’s wrong with it? That’s right, the pleats on the RH sleeve point downwards, and the pleats on the LH sleeve point upwards. Dagnammit! Thankfully it wasn’t too big a deal to unpick the seam and re-sew it… with the sleeve the right way up this time! (And as a bonus, I inadvertently got the opportunity to see the sleeves both ways round!)

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Sarah’s Pendrell Blouse: Trial #1

  1. Vanessa (BSC Perth) says:

    That is such a flattering shape and fit. It’s hard to believe it doesn’t have a zip as I have made a couple of simple tops from the Big 4 and they turned out so shapeless and baggy. I can’t wait to get mine in the mail!

    • sarahscustard says:

      Yup. I think you’re going to love this one Vanessa! I’ve even found that I can comfortably belt this if I want a little more waist definition. Most of the versions online are shown tucked into a high(-ish) waisted skirt. That’s not my style though… so I was really pleased that it also works fine over jeans (albeit shortened slightly (~1″) from the pattern.

  2. kaitui_kiwi says:

    I agree with Vanessa, I can’t believe it’s not out of stretch and yet is such a good fit with no clasps or zippers! And that is definitely a “wearable muslin”, I can never find cute vintage sheets, good choice 😉

  3. Tasia says:

    Thanks for the lovely review! It fits you so well, I love the sleeves too. Belted would look great also!

    You’re correct, there is a little printing error on the neck binding as you only need one piece. Sorry about that!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s